When you start a low carb lifestyle, you begin to realize how many things have sugar in them! As I started looking through recipes for pulled pork, I realized that I would have to improvise!
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (if you like a kick throw some extra in but be careful!)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Swerve brown sugar (erythritol)
- 1/4 C Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 – 3/4 C Water
- Mix all dry ingredients to make a rub.
- Cover the entire pork with the rub.
- Mix the water and vinegar and pour into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Slowly place the pork shoulder into the pot. Try not to wash away the rub when placing into the liquid.
- Seal the Instant Pot and cook for 90 minutes.
Look at this finished product! Now all you need to do is to shred it! It should shred very easily. I usually let it sit a few minutes to soak up more juices.
Now if you are thinking, I want to throw this yumminess into a bun, but don’t want to ruin you carb count. I have a great 90 second low carb bread you can make while the pork is cooking.
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
- Mix all ingredients into a mug. I like to use the large mugs to make the bun a little wider.
- Microwave for 90 to 120 seconds depending on your microwave power.
- You want to let it cool and then use a knife to loosen the edges in the mug. Then dump it out.
- Once out of the mug, cut in half and place in the toaster for extra crispy bread. Almond flour can burn so just watch the toaster and decide when you think it is done.
This bread is great for all kinds of meals. You can change up the seasoning to match what type of food you are making. It is similar to the texture of cornbread. It is more fragile in the sense that if you let your juicy pork sit in the bun for to long it begins to crumble.
NOW it is time to enjoy! A great meal without the carbs!